The Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) wants to represent part-time student workers through the College’s Collective Bargaining Act (CCBA). Students who work part-time on campus are included in part-time support staff. The vote is taking place June 20-30, 2016. You can read our press release concerning the timing of the vote here.
Carefully read any information you are provided to make an informed and educated decision.
OPSEU identifies the following issues for students working on campus part-time:
– No job security,
– No paid sick days,
– No paid vacation days or health benefits,
– No control over how many hours’ individuals will work,
– Generally paid less than full-time workers.
– Carefully read any information you are provided to make an informed and educated decision.
Hours: Most part-time campus jobs are restricted to the number of hours a student can work within one semester due to on campus work study programs. Students may also lose hours to senior part-time staff or non-student staff. Flexibility in work hours for students may diminish as more senior team members get preference of hours and shifts.
Fees: The union dues for OPSEU are 1.375% which will be taken off each paycheck you receive from your part-time job on campus.
Strike: In the event of a strike, you will have to decide whether or not to attend regular scheduled classes or walk the picket line. A strike may result in loss of wages which are critical to being able to live while studying.
– OPSEU has been collecting signed cards of support since September 1, 2015.
– On May 31, 2016, OPSEU filed an application to the Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB) to become the bargaining agent for part-time workers on college campuses across Ontario.
– The OLRB ordered a supervised vote of the part-time workers between June 20- 30, 2016.
– If you signed a card it does not mean you have to vote yes. It is always your choice.
– Whether or not you support the union, you must cast your ballot to ensure your voice is heard.
– If the union is successful, you will be required to pay union dues off your pay cheque whether you sign a membership card or not.
Remember: as a part-time student worker, you have the right to vote YES or NO. If you have further questions, please contact our Director of Advocacy, Ciara Byrne at email@example.com.